Most expectant mothers will feel their baby move by the 20th week of pregnancy. Fetal movement is an indicator of fetal well being. One way for you to know if your baby is doing well is to record your baby’s movements. This is called a fetal kick count. Kick counts work best after the 27th week of pregnancy.
How do I do a fetal kick count?
- Sit comfortably or lie on your left side
- The first time your baby moves, write down the time
- Count each movement the baby makes until the baby has moved 10 times (This can be less than 5 minutes or up to 2 hours)
- If you have felt less than 4 movements in 1 hour, get up, walk around, change position, have some juice or a snack, and try again
When should I call the doctor?
- If you feel less than 10 movements in 3 hours
- If your baby moves significantly less often than it has been
- You have not felt your baby move all day